The Day of the Book Launch - on writing

The day of the Book Launch.

Well, what a fantabulous evening that turned out to be!  The big purple vinyl poster arrived on time, and I ended up with three jolly rogers arriving in the post on time, due to panic buying after one said it wouldn't arrive on time.


Eric, Alice, Author and Arthur
Pirate Eric
The venue was perfect - upstairs in The Tower Mill Cafe in Hawick.  Arriving early it was all hands on deck to help decorate the room and turn it into a place fit for pirates.  I am irrefutably blessed with the best circle of friends who, without question, show up, help out and support me in what ever crazy venture I try out.  I am ever in awe of them.


To start off with, the evening began with general chats, a mix of drinks and snacks, and two pirates wandering amongst their spectatorship, discussion in jovial tones the demise of piracy.Then, I welcomed everyone to the launch, encouraging people to sign the mailing list to be in with a chance of winning a silver-plated pirate ship.  

Love how the couple captured the chemistry between Arthur and Alice
Pirates Arthur and Alice acted out a scene from the book.  It is some magical feeling indeed, captivated and magnificent, when for the first time ever, the words and characters from something by my own fair hand springs to life in front of an audience.  Did the audience like it?  I was completely unawares, so happy and filled with laughter and delight at seeing Arthur and Alice argue about rowing a small boat on a grassy garden to transport back in time.  Then I heard laughter from the audience, and the terrified part of me realised a truth - other people like it too.  They aren't just being polite when they tell me they enjoyed the book.  There is genuine laughter.  Hurray! 

After the scene there was a short interval and I read a passage from the book.  Full of nerves, which I thought I had reasonably under control until I watched the video back and began cringing at how many times I flick that hair back over my shoulder!  It takes a bit of getting used to hair flapping about your face when you're not used to it. To watch the video click here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fknQHTJzYDE
Remember those lessons you learn throughout life such as: remember to breathe.  Pause.  Slow your voice down.  Smile.  Speak clearly.  Feel the fear and do it anyway.  Say it even if your voice shakes.  And you've forgotten to keep breathing!

Then, I drew the draw for the silver-plated ship, and that was the end of the night!  

The right number of people for my first launch, had there been alot more I would have been quite daunted.  I think I sold a book to almost each person there!  
The night was great experience for me and great fun and I hope it was as entertaining for the audience who hadn't met the characters before.




Comments

Popular Posts