good evening

Well hasn't it been a while since I've been on my blog!

Such changes abound.

Welcome into the world little baby George and all the wonderful delights he brings.  Three and a half months old fantabulousness.

During times I find my hands free of baby, I have picked up the old ink pens and dabbled in illustrating my children's book The Day the Jellyfish Came Raining Down.  I'm proud of some of the images, and not so proud of others.  I may rework them, but it is low down on my list of things I want to get done on maternity leave.

I have sent my other children's book The Secret of Highcroft Castle off to an Editor for a professional make over.  I may think I have the story right, but she will let me know otherwise.  I am really pleased to have found her, she has an incredibly friendly manner in her emails, which mean I don't feel like crawling into a hole with shame at the mistakes in my story.

It happens!  It takes a fair bit of courage to put myself out there, it took thirty four years of me to finally reach a stage where I could put my words into public printation, and that opens my world up to scrutiny and criticism.

Which leads my train of thought into building confidence:

I travel alot in my current job, I can spend four hours a day on the road, and downloaded podcasts from the Life Coach Brooke Castillo to listen to along my journey.  I might not have her words quoted exactly, but I remind myself: "you are not in control of other people's thoughts" and "the way other people think about you is not really anything to do with you, its about them."  I hope the phrases make sense to you, if not, listen to her podcasts!
I've had a few incidents in my life which gave me massive blows to my confidence - and don't we all have those things?  So, I repeat:  "Stand up and say it, even if your voice shakes." Chin up buttercup.

What else - I've started updating my website Rulewater and I am really pleased with how it is beginning to take shape.  I have been working on the structure, its amazing how time consuming putting page links into other pages can actually be.  I've started designing a logo, which requires polishing up, and have the content to build.

I'm super pleased with my ethos behind it:  If I'm going to be successful, then I'm going to take as many people as I can with me.

Rulewater offers free advertising for the local businesses and people in my community, and will hopefully pay for its own running costs through affiliate marketing.  It will hopefully encourage tourism and more visitors to the area, and so benefit businesses that way too.

The website has come on so much since its early beginnings, in no part thanks to the way free-web-building sites have so many options now.  As well as listening to my husband's advice, researching other sites, and not being afraid to learn how to use HTML coding.

So what else?  I'm working on illustrations for another children's book, My Favourite Monster, which I wrote some time ago and just needs polishing up a little.

And I am loving every minute of my maternity leave.  Cramming it jam packed full of things that I love to do.

Staring out of the window watching the ducks who have just learned where the river is and taken their first ever river wash.  Gazing into the fish tank and counting how many baby fish we might have.  And looking into the future with a light heart.

It requires time management.  I get up at 6am as many days as I can, whereby I grab first breakfast containing bananas and strawberries (they are so good for your skin!) and green tea.  I sit at my laptop and work on the Rulewater website for an hour or so until my wee baby George wakes up.  Spend time with him, counting fishes, then get ready for the day.  After second breakfast I will move onto the illustrations for the book, and then the afternoon is spent visiting folks, being outdoors, pony riding, pram walking, all the fun things.

And I look at wee George, he's my motivation for it all.  Crack on with it all.  Just get it done.



Comments

Popular Posts