Some of My Favourite Places to Eat in Hawick and Denholm, Near Rulewater in the Scottish Borders

Its always a bit of a tummy-grumbling question, isn't it?  Can we walk into this bar or restaurant and expect a good meal, or should we have chosen somewhere else instead?  So here, as a local, I have listed some of my favourite places to eat near Rulewater in the Scottish Borders, and we have some places to be proud of.  My list here covers Denholm and Hawick as they are a comfortable drive of twenty minutes away from where I live in Rulewater, and while there are other good places to eat in the Borders, I might cover them another time. Please visit my website about Rulewater if you haven't heard of it before.

The Denholm Meet, Denholm

Some of My Favourite Places to Eat in Hawick and Denholm, Near Rulewater in the Scottish Borders

Within walking distance of Ruberslaw Wild Woods Camping, The Denholm Meet is a lovely local Italian restaurant.  Open for lunches and evening meals, we've only been in at lunchtime ourselves and imagine it will have a different atmosphere in the evenings.  Their pizzas are divine, medium thickness, light dough, crispy on the crust and lovely and soft in the middle.  I recently had the ham and dolcelatte, which was a different taste sensation with each bite.  When we go in, we usually order our meal, then nip upstairs for a quick look in the antiques and collectables shop.  It sometimes makes for a more expensive lunch if we come away with something from there though!  They also do great meaty burgers, served with a pail of chips and Italian style side salad.  Look out for their musical evenings too.  Click here for more info.

The Auld Cross Keys Inn, Denholm

Auld Cross Keys Inn, Denholm

Meals are delicious at The Auld Cross Keys, with locally sourced meat, fish and vegetables, it hasn't travelled far from field to plate.  Featuring a set stable menu of pub favourites, I'd recommend the Steak and Ale Pie, but also a varied specials board.  The Sunday carvery is an ultimate must - book in advance to avoid disappointment - my favourite being the pork and lamb, with some roast tatties, carrots, and if the leek in cream sauce is on, well that's perfection on a plate right there.  They even do takeaway fish and chips and I daresay would set you up for a hike with a packed lunch if you asked them!  Click here for more info.


The Night Safe Bistro, Hawick


Personally, I have never eaten here yet.  Ah, I hear you shout, how can I recommend this place if I have never eaten there before?  Because, dear reader, we live in a very small place and word gets around very quickly if a place is good or bad.  And this place comes with a good reputation.  We might well visit there for our wedding anniversary.  If we do, I will be sure to offer up a review.  I'm looking out for the Haggis Mash Potatoes and the locally sourced meats.  Click here for more info about the Night Safe Bistro.

The Damascus Drum, Hawick


One of the things I like about this place are the books lining the walls of the back snug room.  Usually the seats through there are already taken, its a great space for escaping from the hectic life outside the door.  I jest, Damascus Drum is one of these hidden away gems on a quaint cobbled street at the top of Hawick High Street.  Their menu has great vegan and vegetarian options.  I usually go for the veggie options here, the bagels especially, as they are just so darn tasty and a good filling lunch.  They offer the same taste wonderment with their soft drinks, including fizzy Elder flower, and Dandelion and Burdock. There is also an array of Persian rugs for sale.  Check out their open mike nights and book readings, if you get a chance.  Click here for more info about Damascus Drum


JJ Express, Hawick


There are a couple of options that I like from JJ Express, one is their sit-in lunch time offer, where you get two starters, a main and a desert, and the other is as a Chinese takeaway for an evening meal, I like ordering from the back-sheet of their menu where they offer a rice, sauce, and sides in one, the Beef in Mandarin Sauce being my preferred meal here.  The staff are friendly too.  Click here for more info.


Saffron, Hawick


We use this if we want to order Indian Takeaway.  I am a bit of a stickler for choosing the same thing every time these days, which is a Spicy Chicken Korma, Peshwari Naan Bread, Vegetable Pilau Rice and some Poppadoms.  I love the sweetness, the almonds, the coconut flavours and the creamy texture. Click here for more info.

Comments

Popular Posts